Sunday, October 23, 2011

On focused dataframes in ArcMap

Q: Why can't I add a north arrow/legend/scale bar to my map?
A: Are you in the layout view (vs. the data view, often the default view)?
Q: Yes, of course. I didn't just install the software this year, you know.
A: OK, I can see I'm dealing with a non-novice here. Let's try something else. Is your layer focused?
Q: Um... it's clear to me, so I guess it's in focus?
A: No, I mean that if you're looking at the data view, is there a diagonal line border around it?
Q: Yes...
A: OK, that means you have that layer focused. It allows you to edit the layer in the layout view. See this thread for more info. To un-focus the layer, hit this button on your toolbar:


For me, it's located a few lines below the word "Selection", but as always the location of the buttons depends on where you have your toolbars anchored.

No comments:

Post a Comment